Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Wednesday, 24 November 2010

Excellent morning

Quite a frost this morning, and very cold.
I got to the gull roost about 6:45 a.m., and watched the hundreds that were there for a while. Very vocal they were too; and as I made my way back towards the north lake, a Little Egret flew onto the island used by the Cormorants. A good start to the day.

A pair of Bullfinches in what bushes are left, by the car park, and by the road bridge, in the reeds, a couple of Little Grebe again. Plenty of Tufted Duck, with the Mallard, and a few Swans, and a couple of Crows flew down, thinking I had food again. They’re getting rather tame, and quite bold.

A quick glimpse of a Kingfisher was a welcome sight; I’d not seen one for a while, and a few Wood Pigeons were flying overhead. I made my way to where the Goldeneye was yesterday, and sure enough, he was still there.



Watched him for a while, and then carried on round the lake. Canada Geese and Cormorants were up by the weir end, along with some Wigeon and Gadwall.
And something bigger! A look through the binoculars confirmed what I thought it was; a male Goosander. I watched him for ages, then he decided it was time for breakfast, and caught a fish. Great to watch.




I watched a while longer, and sent a text to a friend, so he could get the news out to fellow birders. What a great morning this was turning out to be.

A Sparrowhawk flew overhead, and a few Redwing landed in some trees.
Onward towards the south lake, stopping off briefly by the pub, to feed some ducks, gulls, and my friendly Crows.

An excellent morning.






Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Common Goldeneye [sp] (Bucephala clangula)
Goosander (Mergus merganser merganser)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Little Egret [sp] (Egretta garzetta)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Eurasian Sparrowhawk [sp] (Accipiter nisus)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Common Gull (Larus canus canus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
British Herring Gull (Larus argentatus argenteus)
Great Black-backed Gull (Larus marinus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
British Treecreeper (Certhia familiaris britannica)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
British Chaffinch (Fringilla coelebs gengleri)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)

Total species  41



A contribution to World Bird Wednesday  


15 comments:

  1. Wow!
    I am speechless so it's a good thing I'm keyboarding. That was quite a morning you had. Great photographs. You had me reaching for my 400mm lens at about 6 minutes into your phenomenal video as I wanted a crack at getting a close up of that pesky gull! Those ponds are packed with birds and your voice over is stellar. Thanks so much for taking us along. You made my day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Springman, thank you for your very kind comments.
    I'm glad you enjoyed the video; I enjoy doing them, so it's always good to know when others enjoy them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well up to your usual high standard, more entertaining today now the numpties with their brush cutters have departed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cheers Adrian, It really was a great visit today; and no sign of the numpties anywhere. Think they've run out of bushes to hack now.
    I'll miss going there in the mornings when I go back to work. Next Monday :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Really excellent Keith! The video was packed with goodies and your commentary makes it even more entertaining. I really am turning a nasty shade of green about your lake. I paid a visit to a small one near me this afternoon hoping the cold weather might have brought something of interest but as usual, Mallards, Moorhen, Call Ducks and a solitary Canada Goose was all it had to offer. There is just nothing on the scale of yours here...it's soooo frustrating!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another super video Keith,keep `em coming.I think I`m going to have to move to Milton Keynes (when I win the lottery,hopefully!!)There seems to be a lot of birds around/on the lake just now,is it more than this time last year? I can`t wait to see what you find tomorrow. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Jan. It's surprising just how much is around here at the moment. Going every day helps, probably lol
    You and Mr Songbird will have to come down one day, and I'll give you both a tour.

    Thanks Trevor. Yea, the lake is getting pretty busy at the moment. I've seen nearly double the ammount of birds I saw last November; but then I wasn't going every day, and spending the time I am at the moment.
    All change next week though; back to work on Monday. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Keith...well my friend you sure have a lot of birds flying around you there...I have to say I do hope you are wearing something on your head for there must be a lot of other stuff flying through the air ; } LOL
    Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. There was one gull in particular, I thought was going to sit on my hand; he was so close lol

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW what a fun post...what a find that Goosander is so sleek and splendid--what a great Winter Gift for the lake and for US--
    The gulls are ready to have you Join the Flock!!
    MONDAY is D-Day? IT will be a GOOD day too-make it so!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your blog is so much fun and the photograhy is great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Well, Keith, your hand has gotten steadier and steadier with the long distance videography!

    Love the Goldeneye.

    We have a situation here similar to what you saw with the gulls making all that racket near those houses. We have a lake that stays unfrozen all winter (it is warmed by a power plant) and so is year-round home to hundreds of Canada Geese who actually make more poop than racket. Glad I don't live near there...

    Great stuff. cheers, Wilma

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Dixxe. When I stopped to feed those ducks, I really thought one gull was going to land on me lol He flew straight at me, staring into my eyes, and then turned off at the last moment. Amazing.
    Yea, Monday all the fun stops lol

    suzspring23, thank you for stopping by, and commenting. Glad you enjoyed your visit.

    Thanks Wilma. I think it was counter shake; I was freezing lol
    Unfortunately this lake freezes over in cold winters, like we had last year. Very small areas in the middle sometimes escape, and become packed with birds. I did see a couple of casualties last year though; a swan and a goose, frozen in the lake. Very sad to see.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice video! Must be an awesome place to spend the day! You're lucky to have such a place, I find it really relaxing to watch birds going on about whatever they do :) As you say, an excellent morning!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Øyvind, thank you for stopping by, and commenting.
    It really is a great place to visit, and I'm lucky it is so close to home.

    ReplyDelete