Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Tuesday, 19 October 2010

It’s getting better

A longer walk than usual this morning. I decided to do the north lake twice today, and got talking to a fellow bird watcher, who was trying out his new scope. Had quite a long, interesting chat; and as usual I forgot to ask his name. Oh well, if I see him again I’ll ask.

But the birds……well, Redwing still in the bushes and trees, and a huge flock of Fieldfare flew very low over the lake. I thought they may have stopped off, but didn’t see them. Just a matter of time I think.
The Red Crested Pochard still on the north lake, with the rest of the ducks; but on the second circuit, there was no sign of them. Maybe moved onto another part. No sign of the Little Grebe either, but the Shoveler and Gadwall still swimming around together.

A large flock of Lapwing flew overhead; 55. I took a picture so I could count the dots when I got home. And still lots of Wood Pigeon flying in groups, heading south.

Two Kingfishers this morning, at opposite ends of the lake, and the usual songbirds foraging in the bushes. Full list at the end





Full list of today’s sightings

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Eurasian Wigeon (Anas penelope)
Gadwall [sp] (Anas strepera)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Northern Shoveler (Anas clypeata)
Red-crested Pochard (Netta rufina)
Common Pochard (Aythya ferina)
Tufted Duck (Aythya fuligula)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Northern Lapwing (Vanellus vanellus)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Common Kingfisher [sp] (Alcedo atthis)
Green Woodpecker [sp] (Picus viridis)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
British Dunnock (Prunella modularis occidentalis)
British Robin (Erithacus rubecula melophilus)
Common Blackbird [sp] (Turdus merula)
Fieldfare (Turdus pilaris)
British Song Thrush (Turdus philomelos clarkei)
Redwing [sp] (Turdus iliacus)
British Long-tailed Tit (Aegithalos caudatus rosaceus)
British Blue Tit (Cyanistes caeruleus obscurus)
British Great Tit (Parus major newtoni)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Eurasian Jackdaw [sp] (Corvus monedula)
Rook [sp] (Corvus frugilegus)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
Common Starling [sp] (Sturnus vulgaris)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)
British Bullfinch (Pyrrhula pyrrhula pileata)

Total species  38

7 comments:

  1. Hi Keith..I really don't know how you remember the birds names you see do you have some sort of system...check list of sorts??
    Wonderful that your feeling so good and did a second walk around the lake..be careful!!
    Caring Hugs!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks grammie. I have a little black book ;)

    I write them down as I see them, or else I'd never remember them lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely the Black-headed Gull flying, and your number of a Fieldfares is quite beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You

    ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Bob. The autumn bird numbers are building up daily.

    From one old geezer to another, hope you enjoy your visits Ron.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Another impressive list there Keith! Im still cooling my heels at home waiting on one wet front to move through and hope to head to the shore Im so anxious to see some shore birds!!
    I love the photo you have posted for today...hope you are feeling well-

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Dixxe. I love seeing shore birds too; (we call them waders here), but we don't get many at this lake. Have to go further afield.

    I feel a trip coming on lol

    ReplyDelete