Personal musings, wanderings and sightings from around the lake.
A little history, and about the lake, at the bottom of the page.

quote

Sometimes the picture doesn't have to be perfect; it's the captured moment that counts. - me



Saturday, 21 August 2010

First day, new blog

Well, the sun made an appearance a bit later, but still windy, so I dragged my backside out to the lake. Well, I couldn’t start a blog with ‘when it stops raining, I’ll go out…..

So, late in the day when I finally got there, and mingled with everyone else. Yea, the dog walkers, joggers, bike riders and uncle Tom Cobbley and all were there. I persevered though, and soaring in the wind were a good few House Martins and Swallows. Also in the wind were a few yachts, which managed to keep the ducks and geese moving; even though some of them struggled to keep upright.


Whilst making my way round the north part of the lake, I noticed a big fish in the water. Now I’m no good at fish ID; apart from a Goldfish, that’s about all I know.

Well this was gold; and huge, so I can only guess either a giant Goldfish, or maybe a Koi Carp?
Ok, that’s two fish I know, but you understand……



Some prick with a couple of dogs managed to keep the waterfowl moving too. He thought it great fun to throw a ball into the water, so the dogs could scare the Swans while they went after the ball.
Times like that I wished I shot more than pictures.


Yea, that’s him!

A lot of dragonflies flying around as well……….Emperor and Brown Hawkers mainly.

And a nice surprise at the bottom end of the lake too; a couple of Little Grebe, in fine plumage.



Not too many birds seen, I’ll put a list at the end, but it was worth going out.


Next time I’ll go earlier though, and miss the crowds; and pricks.

Mute Swan (Cygnus olor)
Greylag Goose [sp] (Anser anser)
Greater Canada Goose [sp] (Branta canadensis)
Mallard [sp] (Anas platyrhynchos)
Little Grebe [sp] (Tachybaptus ruficollis)
Great Crested Grebe [sp] (Podiceps cristatus)
Great Cormorant [sp] (Phalacrocorax carbo)
Grey Heron [sp] (Ardea cinerea)
Common Moorhen [sp] (Gallinula chloropus)
Common Coot [sp] (Fulica atra)
Black-headed Gull (Chroicocephalus ridibundus)
Lesser Black-backed Gull [sp] (Larus fuscus)
Common Tern [sp] (Sterna hirundo)
Common Wood Pigeon [sp] (Columba palumbus)
Barn Swallow [sp] (Hirundo rustica)
House Martin [sp] (Delichon urbicum)
Pied Wagtail (Motacilla alba yarrellii)
Eurasian Magpie [sp] (Pica pica)
Carrion Crow [sp] (Corvus corone)
European Goldfinch [sp] (Carduelis carduelis)

Total 20

2 comments:

  1. Nice one, Keith.

    PS - the verification word was "strode" as in "Keith strode around Caldecotte for his new blog." ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wilma; my first comment.
    Great word verification too lol

    ReplyDelete